Au-pair Visa New Zealand- Aupair Visa Rules for New Zealand
Au pairs from Australia can study and work in New Zealand without a visa or work permit.
For all other nationalities, New Zealand allows au-pairs to enter and work in New Zealand under a scheme called 'the Working Holiday Scheme'.
This is a scheme that allows young people from certain countries to travel to New Zealand for a holiday and then take up employment during their holiday . The visa is generally given for between 1-2 years and will permit the au-pair to work for a host family.
Each country has specific rules that apply to them. There is however a general criteria that is relevant to all of the countries.
General criteria for Au-pairs;
- The au-pair must come from one of the approved countries
- have national passport that‘s valid for at least three months after your planned departure from New Zealand
- be at least 18 and not more than 30 years old
- not bring children with you
- hold a return ticket or sufficient funds to purchase such a ticket
- have a minimum of NZ$4,200 available funds to meet your living costs while you’re here
- meet our health and character requirements
- hold medical and comprehensive hospitalization insurance for the length of your stay
- be coming to New Zealand to holiday, with work or study being secondary intentions for your visit
- not have been approved a visa under a Working Holiday Scheme before.
- Hold sufficient funds for the duration of your visit and for the purchase of an outward ticket from New Zealand. Such evidence may be requested on arrival at the border.
Ability to change status
The great thing about the Working Holiday visa is that once the Au-pair arrives in New Zealand they can change their status at any time during the currency of the visa. This means that the Au-pair can change from an Au-pair to that of a student or a long term temporary worker; in short the Au-pair will not be restricted to just working as an Au-pair.
The au-pairs visa can be changed to any one of the following;
- A long-term temporary worker;
- A student,
- A resident,
As stated earlier New Zealand has different scheme for each of the Au-pairs countries. It is vital therefore for prospective Au pairs to check the rules for their country.
For further information on the applicable rules for each country click here
The participating countries are;
- Argentina Working Holiday Scheme
- Belgium Working Holiday Scheme
- Brazil Working Holiday Scheme
- Canada Working Holiday Scheme
- Chile Working Holiday Scheme
- China Working Holiday Scheme
- Czech Working Holiday Scheme
- Denmark Working Holiday Scheme
- Estonia Working Holiday Scheme
- Finland Working Holiday Scheme
- France Working Holiday Scheme
- Germany Working Holiday Scheme
- Hong Kong Special Administrative Region Working Holiday Scheme
- Ireland Working Holiday Scheme
- Italy Working Holiday Scheme
- Japan Working Holiday Scheme
- Korea Working Holiday Scheme
- Latvia Working Holiday Scheme
- Malaysia Working Holiday Scheme
- Malta Working Holiday Scheme
- Mexico Working Holiday Scheme
- Netherlands Working Holiday Scheme
- Norway Working Holiday Scheme
- Peru Working Holiday Scheme
- Poland Working Holiday Scheme
- Singapore Work Exchange Programme
- Slovenia Working Holiday Scheme
- Spain Working Holiday Scheme
- Sweden Working Holiday Scheme
- Taiwan Working Holiday Scheme
- Thailand Working Holiday Scheme
- United Kingdom Working Holiday Scheme
- United States of America Working Holiday Scheme
- Uruguay Working Holiday Scheme
For more information on the Working Holiday Scheme click here
For more information on New Zealand Immigration laws click here.
How do I apply?
Applications under this Working Holiday Scheme can be made online.
To file your application online click Working Holiday Schemes online Once you reach the page you will be able to register online.
You may also view the questions and answers page for more information on the online application system.
If you want to apply manually click here
Au-pairs may also enter New Zealand on a student visa.
For more information on the criteria for student visa click here.
Please note that the aupair visa rules given by Aupair world are meant for guidance purposes only and are not to be relied upon. Au pair world cannot be held liable for this information and reader are strongly advised to seek legal advice from the appropreiate channels in the country they wish to work in.
Au-pair Visas for North America
Au-pair Visas for Europe
Aupair Visa Austria / Aupair Visa Belgium / Aupair Visa Denmark / Aupair Visa Finland/ Aupair Visa France / Aupair Visa Germany / Aupair Visa Ireland/ Aupair Visa Italy / Aupair Visa Liechtenstein / Aupair Visa Luxembourg / Aupair Visa Netherlands / Aupair Visa Norway / Spain / Sweden / Aupair Visa Switzerland / Aupair Visa United Kingdom /
Aupair Visas for AustraliaAupair Visa Australia / Aupair Visa New Zealand/
Aupair World :
- Site Map
- About Us
- Contact US
- Guide to Using the Site
- Free Au Pair Registration
- Free Family Registration
Search Photo Galleries
Photo Gallery of Au pairs
Photo Gallery Of Families
Information Section :